.... Rehab .. Reha ....


In the morning, when I was due to be driven from the hospital to rehab, I was still extremely shaky on my feet, and when the driver asked me, whether I wanted to sit or lie down, I preferred to lie in the ambulance. Unfortunately I saw nothing else than the ceiling of the ambulance during the hour-long trip to Tölzer Land, in the Bavarian countryside.

The rehabilitation clinic is near Bad Tölz. Arrived there, the driver pressed my things into my hand, suitcase, papers, jacket, then he showed me the office of the registration and disappeared.

I was dizzy, I was wobbly on my feet, and I had just come from surgery, where I had been lying almost entirely in bed. I had to fill in various forms, it took forever, because the hospital obviously had been sloppy at the time of registration. But at some point they gave me a key and I, who could hardly walk, was allowed to carry my suitcase and various small things to the lift all by myself. To make it even more unpleasant, my room was right under the roof, one floor higher than the elevator could drive. The room itself smelled of cigarette smoke, it had a dark attic hole as a window, the bathroom was dirty, it was all a disaster.

So I went back down to the registration, complaining. Surprisingly, the lady seemed to have a lot of experience with such complaints and was exceptionally friendly. To be brief, I got another key, she got me a trolley for my stuff, and I had the impression that they wanted to check first of all, if they could give me such a crappy hole as a room.

I couldn't drag the trolley up the stairs, so I left it at the lift, then I carried my suitcase and the other stuff down the stairs just to find out that the trolley had been stolen. I then stole another trolley and went along the winding corridors to my new room. And it was a really nice room. The window was large, the room was newly renovated and the view was overlooking a small lake and the countryside far beyond.

The food was served in a huge restaurant. Two things caught my attention in particular: It was unbelievably loud - all the guests seemed to communicate only vociferously. And everyone grabbed huge food mountains on their plates, most of which remained uneaten later. There were six people sitting at a table - the seat was allocated to me on my first visit by a very unfriendly gentleman.

The food was astonishingly good, with lots of choice, fresh salads and everything labeled with "bread units" (BE) - I was in a diabetes clinic after all. I was unlucky with my table. Opposite me sat an elderly and completely disheveled gentleman, whom the food fell out of his mouth again and again. Not because of a disease, he was just a pig. Next to him sat an extremely fat woman, who shoved mountains of sausage into her mouth and who at the same time "conversed" with another equally fat woman five tables away screaming loudly. As a result, sausage parts kept landing on my side of the table. The other people at the table were so dreary that I don't remember them at all.

Complaint again. The unfriendly gentleman then assigned me a table that was half empty. After all, it was a bit more quiet and the guests here were also more cultivated. The seat at this table remained mine for the next four weeks. Nobody talked to me much. I don't know if that was because of my North German dialect, I have no idea. Somehow I always had the impression for the whole four weeks that I didn't belong here.

In the afternoon I was instructed about the tasks, I got a booklet in which all completed tasks had to be checked, and one procedure repeated itself exactly as in the hospital. The sugar level was measured every 2 hours. You had to assemble in front of a tiny laboratory, where a lady did nothing else than puncture dozens of people's fingertips and place the escaping blood in a laboratory robot. If the value was less than 80, small bottles with extremely sweet juice to compensate were offered. After 17:00 one had to continue measuring in the same rhythm and write the results on little slips of paper. These were collected by the night nurse at 2:00 at night. And to make sure you couldn't think of sleeping through, there was a thrombosis injection at 6:00 in the morning. It was not until much later that I understood that they wanted to minimize the risk of hypoglycemia.

On the same (first!) afternoon I had to cycle on a trainer, was given foot baths in some slimy white sludge, was massaged, in short, I was treated as if I had been 100% fit and had not just been transferred from the surgery with an ambulance.

At least a complaint about the constant pricking of my fingers caused me to get a chip installed on the upper arm, which could be scanned with a reader. But despite the chip, my fingertips were still punched every two hours. Rule is rule. But I was improving.

The first two days of rehab were just horrible. It was all too much. Too much running, too much exercise, too much sugar level measurement, and generally too many people. I have rarely seen so many fat and untidy people at the same time. During the meals I continued to have big problems with the others at the table, because coming from the North of Germany you don't understand much in the Bavarian countryside. My table fellows came from the immediate neighborhood, spoke no standard German and vanished home in the evening. Why they were in rehab in the first place, I don't know. In addition, it was the first time after months of artificial nutrition that good food had been given to me. I ate like a nine-headed caterpillar. Everyone was staring at me, but nobody talked to me. And as soon as they heard that I no longer had a pancreas, the reaction was always the same. They didn't know how to approach me. Later I didn't say anything about my illness anymore. So what.

It got much better, when my wife came over for the weekends, it was almost like a holiday. The daily diabetes training in the morning was important, so was the sport, and the endless running back and forth in the huge building began to show its effects. After two weeks there were hour long marches with others in or around the village already. Strangely enough, these marches also always happened in silence.

Four weeks later, when I went home alone with public transport, the enormous operation was hardly an issue any more. The scar barely hurt. The only thing that has remained to this day is the constant sugar measurement. Actually, I was already feeling reasonably well considering what was missing in my stomach.

When I was finally released, I was told not to lift anything heavy, like they had done many times before.

I had not understood anything, but more about that next time.


Am Morgen, als ich vom Krankenhaus zur Reha gefahren werden sollte, war ich noch immer extrem wackelig auf den Beinen, und auf die Frage des Fahrers, ob ich sitzen oder liegen wolle, zog ich das Liegen im Krankenwagen vor. Leider habe ich dann während der stundenlangen Fahrt ins Tölzer Land nichts anderes gesehen, als den Himmel des Krankenwagens.

Die Rehaklinik ist in der Nähe von Bad Tölz. Dort angekommen, drückte mir der Fahrer meine Sachen in die Hand, Koffer, Papiere, Jacke,  dann zeigte er mir das Büro der Anmeldung und verschwand.

Mir war schwindelig, ich war wackelig auf den Füßen, und ich kam gerade aus der Chirurgie, wo ich fast nur im Bett gelegen hatte. Ich mußte diverse Formulare ausfüllen, es dauerte ewig, denn das Krankenhaus hatte offensichtlich bei der Anmeldung geschlampt. Aber irgendwann gab man mir einen Schlüssel, und ich, der ich kaum laufen konnte, durfte meinen Koffer und diversen Kleinkram alleine zum Lift schleppen. Um es noch ein wenig unangenehmer zu machen, war mein Zimmer direkt unter dem Dach, eine Etage höher als der Lift fahren konnte. Das Zimmer selbst stank stark nach Zigarettenrauch, es hatte ein dunkles Mansardenloch als Fenster, das Bad war schmutzig, es war alles eine Katastrophe.

Also ging es wieder hinunter zur Anmeldung, beschweren. Erstaunlicherweise schien die Dame mit derartigen Beschwerden viel Erfahrung zu haben und war ausnehmend freundlich. Ich mache es kurz, ich bekam wieder einen Schlüssel, sie besorgte mir einen Rollwagen für meine Sachen, und ich hatte den Eindruck, mann hatte erst einmal checken wollen, ob man mir so ein Loch als Zimmer hat andrehen können.

Den Wagen konnte ich nicht die Treppe hoch schleppen, also ließ ich ihn am Lift, dann buckelte ich meinen Koffer und den anderen Kram die Treppe hinunter, nur um festzustellen, das der Wagen geklaut worden war. Ich klaute mir dann dann einen anderen Wagen, und dann ging es durch verwinkelte Gänge zu meinem neuen Zimmer. Und es war ein richtig schönes Zimmer. Das Fenster war groß, das Zimmer war neu renoviert und der Blick ging über einen kleinen See und weit über das Tölzer Land.

Das Essen bekam man in einem riesigen Restaurant. Zwei Dinge fielen mir besonders auf: Es war unglaublich laut - alle Gäste schienen sich nur schreiend zu verständigen. Und jeder packte sich riesige Berge auf den Teller, die ungegessen auf dem Teller liegen blieben. Es saßen jeweils sechs Personen an einem Tisch - den Platz bekam ich beim ersten Besuch durch einen unfreundlichen Herren zugewiesen.

Das Essen war erstaunlich gut, mit viel Auswahl, frischen Salaten und alles mit "Broteinheiten" (BE) beschriftet - ich war schließlich in einer Diabetes-Klinik. Mit meinem Tisch hatte ich Pech. Mir gegenüber saß ein älterer und vollkommen ungepflegter Herr, dem das Essen immer wieder aus dem Mund fiel. Nicht wegen einer Krankheit, er war einfach ein Schwein. Daneben saß eine extrem fette Frau, die sich Berge von Wurst un den Mund schob und gleichzeitig laut schreiend mit einer anderen, ebenso fetten, Frau fünf Tische weiter "unterhielt". Das hatte zur Folge, daß immer wieder Wurststücken auch auf meiner Seite des Tisches landeten. Die anderen Personen am Tisch waren so farblos, daß ich mich an sie nicht erinnere.

Also wieder Beschweren... Der unfreundliche Herr wies mir daraufhin einen Tisch zu, der halb leer war. Immerhin war es so etwas leiser, und sauberer waren die Gäste hier auch. Der Platz an diesem Tisch blieb mir dann auch für die nächsten vier Wochen erhalten. Viel geredet hat mir mir keiner. Ob das an meinem norddeutschen Dialekt lag, ich habe keine Ahnung. Irgendwie hatte ich die ganzen vier Wochen immer den Eindruck, daß ich hier nicht hingehörte.

Nachmittags wurde ich dann in die Aufgaben eingewiesen, ich bekam einen Hefter, in dem alle erledigten Aufgaben abgehakt wurden, und eine Prozedur wiederholte sich genau wie im Krankenhaus. Alle 2 Stunden wurde der Zuckerlevel gemessen. Man mußte sich vor einem winzigen Labor einfinden, in dem eine Dame nichts anderes tat, als dutzenden Menschen die Fingerkuppen zu zerstechen und das heraustretende Blut in einen Laborautomaten zu befördern. War der Wert unter 80, gab es kleine Flaschen mit extrem süßem Saft zum Ausgleich. Nach 17:00 mußte man im gleichen Rhythmus mit dem Messen fortfahren und die Ergebnisse auf kleine Zettelchen schreiben. Diese wurden nachts um 2:00 von der Nachtschwester eingesammelt. Und damit man überhaupt nicht an Durchschlafen denken konnte, gab es morgens um 6:00 noch eine Thrombose-Spritze. Erst viel später habe ich verstanden, daß man so da Risiko einer Unterzuckerung minimieren wollte.

Noch am gleichen (ersten!) Nachmittag mußte ich auf einem Trainer Fahrrad fahren, bekam Fußbäder in irgendeiner schleimigen weißen Pampe, wurde massiert, kurzum, ich wurde behandelt, als wäre ich 100% fit und nicht gerade erst mit einem Krankenwagen aus der Chirurgie überführt worden.

Immerhin hatte mir eine Beschwerde über das ständige Zerstechen meiner Finger eingebracht, daß ich einen Chip auf dem Oberarm angebracht bekam, den man mit einem Lesegerät auslesen konnte. Aber trotz des Chips wurden mir weiterhin im Zweistundentakt die Fingerkuppen zerstochen. Vorschrift ist Vorschrift. Aber ich war auf dem Weg der Besserung.

Die ersten zwei Tage Reha waren einfach nur entsetzlich. Es war alles zu viel. Zu viel Laufen, zu viel Sport, zu viel Zuckerlevel Messen, und generell zu viele Menschen. Ich habe selten so viele fette und ungepflegte Menschen auf einem Haufen gesehen. Bei den Mahlzeiten hatte ich weiterhin große Probleme mit den anderen am Tisch, denn als Norddeutscher versteht man auf dem bayerischen Land nicht gerade viel. Meine Tischnachbarn kamen aus der direkten Nachbarschaft, sprachen kein Hochdeutsch und verschwanden abends nach Hause. Warum sie dann überhaupt in der Reha waren, ich weiß es nicht. Dazu kommt, daß zum ersten Mal nach Monaten der künstlichen Ernährung gutes Essen bekommen habe. Ich habe gefressen, wie eine neunköpfige Raupe. Alle starrten mich an, aber unterhalten hat sich mit mir keiner. Und sobald irgendwer hörte, daß ich keine Bauchspeicheldrüse mehr hatte, war die Reaktion immer gleich. Man wußte nicht, wie man mir begegnen sollte. Später habe ich also nichts mehr zu meiner Krankheit gesagt. So what.

Es wurde viel besser, als am Wochenende meine Frau kam, es war fast wie Urlaub. Das morgendliche tägliche Diabetes-Training war wichtig, der Sport auch, und das ewige Hin- und Herlaufen in dem riesigen Bau fing an, Wirkung zu zeigen. Nach zwei Wochen gab es dann schon stundenlange Fußmärsche mit Anderen im Ort oder um den Ort herum. Merkwürdigerweise geschahen auch diese Fußmärsche immer völlig schweigend.

Als ich nach vier Wochen dann alleine mit öffentlichen Verkehrsmitteln nach Hause fuhr, war die gewaltige Operation kaum noch ein Thema. Die Narbe tat kaum noch weh. Nur das ständige Zuckermessen ist mir bis heute geblieben. Eigentlich ging es mir schon einigermaßen gut, wenn man bedenkt, was im Bauch alles fehlte.

Bei der Entlassung sagte man mir zum ungezählten Mal, ich solle nichts Schweres heben.

Daß ich das absolut nicht verstanden hatte, darüber das nächste Mal.